Saturday, November 28, 2009

Cluttered

Sculptures from Landfill Trash, Washington Post
I must admit that I am a bit of a... collector. Okay, I'm a pack rat. Not as bad as some people, but I have my stash of stuff in two junk closets and at least three junk drawers. All this accumulation took a grand total of three years. I had cleared out all the junk when I moved, vowing (really really truly to the bottom of my heart vowing) to never again clutter my life with needless things. Do I really need four "antique" chess sets? But, they're collectibles, so it's justified. What about all the old cell phones from Japan? I can't even charge the battery on them, but there are some pictures I took while there, so I couldn't possibly toss them out. And, my old Macs from the '90s... I could network them all and have them run old programs or maybe build some kind of super robot from the parts... sometime in the future, after I take some robotics classes..... okay, hopeless, hopeless, hopeless. But there seems to be so much potential in things. I could always repair the broken fan or disassemble it, save the parts, maybe use it for a... sculpture.

3 comments:

  1. Well we all have a sentimental streak in us and like to hang on to "old" but treasured things...not hopeless at all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I thought I had problems with hoarding junk.
    Fortunately I have no ambitions toward sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next to do: master the art of letting go.

    ReplyDelete