Thursday, October 15, 2009

Another Use for Pencils

My friend A, a fellow artist, lives in France. We tend to think of France as this idyllic romantic place, but as with all places, there are good and bad people. She was walking down the street, large handbag on her shoulder... where else to keep all the paper and pencils?... when suddenly a man on a motorbike grabbed her bag. Being the defiant (and eerily strong, I would say) person that she is, she held on. As she was being dragged down the street, she pulled out a sharp pencil, and stabbed the man in the hand. Bleeding profusely, he finally released her bag. She had a few scrapes, brushed herself off, and went home. There was nothing of value in her bag... just a few sketches...

4 comments:

  1. Good for her! How scary that would be. I love Versailles. I can't wait to go back and visit again. It has been 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow... how scary is right???
    But man, that was smart thinking on the pencil thing. And good for her, I would have done the same thing, whether the bag had valuables or not ~ it's the principal of the thing.
    Perhaps he will re-think his career choice now! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I would have had the presence of mind to do it. She's a toughy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You hear about people defending themselves like this all the time. I've been told I would be that type who would try to fight back if mugged, so I never carry a purse.

    ReplyDelete